BMW Hit with Lawsuit Over Alleged Shattering Sunroofs

A lawsuit has been filed against BMW alleging several of the company’s makes and models were designed with defective panoramic sunroofs and moonroofs that are prone to shattering. The lawsuit has been filed in the District of New Jersey and is seeking class-action status on behalf of U.S. consumers who purchased, own, owned, lease or leased a BMW vehicle manufactured with a sunroof or moonroof.

The vehicles listed in the lawsuit include the following:

• 2005-2013 BMW 3 series
  • 2004-2018 BMW X5s
  • 2005-2018 X3s
  • 2009-2018 BMW X1s
  • 2008-2018 MINI Clubmans
  • 2006-2008 MINI Coopers
  • 2011-2018 MINI Countrymans
  • 2009-2018 MINI Hardtops
  • 2013-2016 MINI Pacemans

The lawsuit claims the glass is defective due to its design, the way it was manufactured, the materials used and/or workmanship. It also alleges the manufacturer knew of the supposed defect and failed to disclose the information to owners and lessees.

In 2004, the company began including panoramic sunroofs as an upgrade in certain vehicles, the lawsuit claims. In addition, the non-panoramic sunroofs of the BMW 3 series are also named in the lawsuit, claiming they, too, are prone to shattering unexpectedly.

The lawsuit was filed by the law firm of Kessler Topaz Meltzer & Check, LLP.

This article is from glassBYTEs™, the free e-newsletter that covers the latest auto glass industry news. Click HERE to sign up—there is no charge. Interested in a deeper dive? Free subscriptions to Auto Glass Repair and Replacement (AGRR) magazine in print or digital format are available. Subscribe at no charge HERE.

This entry was posted in glassBYTEs Original Story and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to BMW Hit with Lawsuit Over Alleged Shattering Sunroofs

1. Fran Lunati says:

Owner of BMW320ix. On Tuesday April 3, 2018 my sunroof glass exploded for no apparent reason. After contacting Competition BMW in St. James NY I was told to call my insurance company because they are not at fault. They claim they never heard of any other reports of this happening. Where do I go rom here?

• Brian says:

That happened with our 2012 X5 just recently.. This happened also right after we just spent $4800 in repairs for a $130 dollar failed internal part.. During the repairs, they supposedly inspected the vehicle for other potential problems and they never mentioned anything about a panoramic moonroof problem.. Shame on them!

2. Dana Schmieding says:

While driving down the highway last week, June 6th in Iowa, the sunroof in my 2011 328xi exploded. Fortunately, I had the interior shade pulled and I was able to avoid a shower of glass and probable car accident. BMW of Des claims no fault, and advised I talk to my insurance. I was quoted $800 for the “specialty” glass and an additional $1300-1800 for the labor to install.

3. Keisha says:

July 19th 2018 while driving on the highway to work In Michigan my sunroof exploded on my 2015 BMW 535i! scared the living day lights out of me, I thought someone was shooting at me that’s how loud it was. I was able to pull over to the side and call police

• Jamal Howard says:

This just happened to my 2015 BMW 535I I would like to know how this is being handled if this is a recall.

• Nancy Woodruff says:

This exact thing happened last Friday in my 2016 x5. No recalls reported from BMW and the dealership is taking no responsibility for this. It will be on me to get it fixed.

• Michael Wisniewski says:

What do we do about this?? I feel like I’m in the twilight zone. This just happened to me in my 2017 535i on May 9, 2021. “Sorry sir, nothing we can do, contact your insurance company”, really….. ugh, so disappointed in BMW, first and probably last one I will every buy…

4. Kathy Fields says:

I was sitting in the parking lot of the Nashville West shopping center. I heard a loud pop on the top of my car. When I got out to look the glass of the sun/moon roof was shattered. My vehicle is a 2020 X2.

5. Jeremy Boerner says:

While driving in the rain my 2019 BMW X3 panoramic roof exploded. Glass everywhere.
    Taking it to the dealer to see how they handle it.

6. Wei says:

On Mar 21, While driving my 2019 x3 on a highway NJ and on a clear day, with no 18-wheelers or trucks passing by, not under a bridge or so, I heard a loud explosion and the sunroof shattered. Just took the car to a dealer nearby and tomorrow a bmw engineer will come and inspect

7. Wayne Randall says:

I had this happen today on my one month old 2021 BMW X6M Competition when driving on the interstate. The sunroof was bowed from the inside outwards not the other way around. Almost wrecked and took it straight to the dealership. Crossing my fingers I am not about to be in a battle over a sunroof replacement

8. April Garner says:

How do we join into the lawsuit, happen yesterday to my 2018 BMW X5 And despite buying the extended warranty BMW is saying that they will not cover this.
    BMW of Nashville Brentwood location

9. April Garner says:

Really disappointed with BMW of Nashville, Brentwood location. My rear sunroof exploded yesterday afternoon and when I took it in and they said that there was no visible reason, a.k.a. like a rock hit it, and because it’s a 2018 should be covered under original warranty , and we bought the extended warranty when we bought it last February (just in case) they still said nothing they can do…. But they made sure to let me know that I also need a new tires. I guess after reading everybody else’s comment at least I can say that they’re consistent.

10. Carl Cambilargiu says:

I think somebody should be aware there is a problem with BMWs sunroof.
    On September 18 I was driving my 2020 X5M car to Los Angeles from Seattle. I opened the driver side window and my sunroof blew out. I brought my car to Long Beach BMW where I purchased it to be repaired.
    The service rep from Bmw USA denied the warranty claim said it must have been pitted. My car only has 19,000 miles and not a mark on it. No chips or dings at all.
    I have been driving BMWs since 1989 total in more than 16 cars from BMW.

As you can see from the photo the sunroof was closed with the sun cover and the glass is blown outward.
    This is not what I expect from $100,000 car.
    Regards
    Carl Cambilargiu
    5628181412
    Sent from my iPhone

11. Gerard McGovern says:

This has just happened to us in the U.K. 2013 F15 X5 and the roof just exploded. We have a dash cam fitted and it clearly shows the roof was not hit by an object. Not looking forward to a battle with BMW as it’s still under their approved user warranty.

12. Mateja Harrington says:

I have a 2019 mini clubman and on Friday while driving 80 miles an hour 10 minutes before my destination pop! My rear moonroof totally exploded glass everywhere! No cars around me at all. Called The dealership and they told me this was not a warranty item!

13. Blanche Belliveau says:

I was driving last week 12/13/21 and my sunroof exploded for no reason in my 2015 X3. BMW told me that I should go to an auto glass repair shop because it would be cheaper and faster and that they had not heard of this happening in X3s only X5s. I had a shower of glass while driving down the highway. Luckily no one was hurt.

14. K Bob says:

Count me in as the latest spontaneously exploded sunroof on a 2016 X3. Minding my own business at a red light.

Dealer wants $5,500 to repair. Never heard of the problem ;/

15. David Cohen says:

Same here driving down the highway and Boom at first I thought gunfire being Chicago. then it started reining glass. I have a 2020 X-1. I took it to the dealer ship the next morning. They acted like it was the first time they heard about this happing.
    After taking to some co-works they said it to other people they know..

16. Wendi Adams says:

Just happened to my daughter yesterday when she was on the highway. The sunroof just exploded.

17. Don says:

March 19 2022 driving down the freeway and the sunroof exploded outward on our 2016 528ix. From the comments posted I shouldn’t be surprised it happened or that BMW has never heard of this.

18. William Spencer says:

I just experienced the spontaneous, outward “explosion” of the sunroof on my 2001 X5 while driving this morning. Very strange experience — it sounded like an explosion in the car as we were cruising down the highway at about 50 MPH. Fortunately there were no injuries from the glass that fell inside the car afterwards. I’m in northwest Montana and there are no BMW dealers in the entire state (4th largest in size).

19. Natalie Hansler says:

My husband’s BMW sun roof just exploded yesterday evening while parked in our underground parking. He’s barely had it more than a few months so we are very, very unhappy.

20. Stacey Swayze says:

I was just driving down the road in Texas and then there was a deafening boom and glass rained all over me. I had my cover on the sunroof of my 328i pulled back so no protection from glass! This is crazy!

21. Melissa Hall says:

I was driving down the interstate today and my sunroof exploded in my 2020 X3 for no reason. It sounded like a gun had gone off inside the vehicle. Now I am waiting to hear back from the BMW dealership to see if the warranty is going to cover it.

22. Regina Portee says:

I was just driving very slow in Atlanta traffic, less than 35 and a terrifying boom came out of nowhere, I first thought a tire blew-no, it was the sunroof in my 2021 X5 shattering. Hoping for a positive outcome at the dealership tomorrow.

23. I was thinking this was an isolated incident until seeing these posts. I was simply driving in Atlanta and the sunroof exploded in my 2021 X5, I thought it was gunfire until the glass started falling everywhere! I’m hoping for a positive outcome at the dealership tomorrow.

24. Christian Cummings says:

Driving down the highway earlier this week and the sunroof of my girlfriends 2019 X5 exploded. Glad I found this forum.

25. Anthony Nienstedt says:

This just happened to my wife with my 2 kids in the car while coming back from Lake George on Sunday Dec 11, 2022. Thank god the inside cover was closed but she said she heard a pop and then the wind. The entire sunroof shattered

26. Viviana Gasca says:

My sunroof exploded last week as I was driving at 35 miles on my 540 BMW this was very scary. I heard a loud noise I immediately pulled over to see Shattered glass all over my car, And a big hole in the middle of my sunroof luckily I didn’t open My sunroof had I did that I probably would’ve had class all over my head and face. I took my vehicle to BMW in Edison unfortunately the manager was having a terrible day and was very nasty to me. Now I have contacted BMW of North America and they seem to be more helpful now waiting for a response.

27. MARCELINE DYER says:

Mine shattered 2 days ago while driving on Rte 95 in South Carolina. My insurance company is handling it with no questions. I have a 2018 X1.

28. Fernanda Mayen says:

The sunroof in my 2020 X3 sDrive 30i exploded yesterday while driving down the highway for no apparent reason! The more I read the more I realized this is a common issue bmw vehicles have. Luckily, I didn’t get hurt but I was very scared. I thought I got rear ended or that something big was going on on the outside

29. Sarah Adams says:

Driving 60mph on the freeway and heard a loud explosion. My sunroof shattered and glass shards were everywhere. 2017 x3

30. MICHELLE Lisa THOMAS says:

Happened to me today. Traveling on the Interstate to the airport in my 2020 840i Gran Coupe and I heard an explosion, looked up, and there was a huge hole where my sunroof used to be. My dealer said it’s covered under warranty.

31. Victoria Adams says:

Happened to me today. I thought someone shot at me it was so loud. I have a 2014 335ix.

32. Michelle Scaife says:

On May 3 2023, my daughter was driving my husband 2014 bmw 1x and she heard a loud pop thought she got a flat pull over and notice the sunroof shattered and it look like something hit it from the inside because the glass was pull up and not down. We tried to go through our insurance but they wouldn’t take the claim because it didn’t exceed over our deductible, which that sucks and my husband called a bmw dealership and said they have never heard that happening to a bmw. SMH! We live in Fort Worth, Texas.

33. LP says:

Our 2012 X5 BMW sunroof (the large retractable glass piece) exploded two weeks ago. It does seem like it exploded from inside and projected outward. If anyone is putting together a class action lawsuit, we want to be included. There has been no evidence of anything hitting our cars roof. The sound was so loud and frightening. We are fortunate we are okay. The inside retractable fabric canopy saved us (we had it closed at the time). We are still in shock from this happening.

34. Ian Makar says:

I own a 2015 640i and have very little issues with it. Yesterday on the I-10 in Phoenix my sunroof exploded while driving. I’ve never been so frightened while driving on a freeway. I called BMW Chandler immediately and a service consultant said they have never heard of this happening. I take it in tomorrow, wish me luck.

35. Graeme Cook says:

Mine did this yeaterday… 2017 BMW 330i.

Driving along sunroof closed and it shattered.

36. Sharon says:

Happened to me last week; driving along a dead quiet country road with no other traffic in sight my sunroof exploded; I also thought was being shot at as it was so loud, only when the glass rained down on me I realized it was the sunroof.
    BMW not taking any responsibility, referred me to my insurance

37. Cameron says:

September 5th at about 0740am I was driving my 2020 BMW 330i to work down a rural highway. No other cars in site. Weather was perfect. Suddenly I hear what sounded like a shotgun go off. Scared the hell out of me. I thought I had hit something but then realized I could hear air from my sunroof so I pulled over and seen my sunroof had exploded glass upwards and a large chunk was missing. I take my car today but now after reading these comments I feel defeated.

38. Vette says:

I drive a 2021 740i
    Today – January 25, 2024 around 8:00 am, I was driving down I565 in Alabama and I heard a loud BOOM. I thought that I was being shot at. I nervously pulled over to the side of the road. No one was out there but me. I jumped out of the car and started running. But there was no one chasing me. I was scared. I crept back to my car and looked around and the front sunroof was gone. The pieces left were pushed out. It is evident that the force was from inside. Century BMW of Huntsville is trying to say that it was hit by a rock and broke it. I am so upset. How do I become a part of this lawsuit?